The village was founded before the arrival of King William and the Normans
in 1066 and was owned by Earl Godwin father of King Harold. It was given
to Bishop Odo after the invasion. The first mention of the church is in
the Domesday Monachorum of 1070, where the church is recorded as part of
the Diocese of Canterbury, and was handed over by Bishop Odo in 1072. It
was also recorded in the Textus Roffensis from 1125AD.
In 1450 local men Roger Attwood and William Hunt joined the ranks of the
Jack Cade rebels, they were arrested, but subsequently pardoned.
Sir Thomas Bullen(Boleyn) of nearby Hever (the father of Anne Boleyn )
bought property in the village during the early 1500's before the
family's fall from grace after Anne was executed by Henry VIII .
The Streatfeild family were the major landowners in the area from at least
1584, with Richard being one of the ironmasters of the wealden iron industry .
The iron industry provided local employment and wealth until the early
1800's when the industry moved to the midlands. In the early 1900's one of the
Streatfeilds turned the original manor house into Chiddingstone Castle, which
is a good example of the Gothic Revival style. The family still remain landowners
in the village.
The church has a good collection of hatchments from the 17th and 18th centuries.
In 1939 the National Trust took over the village, and it is now a perfect example
of a Tudor village in the UK.
Chiddingstone in Kent is a beautiful village with many black and white
The high street is overlooked by houses built in the 1500 and 1600's.
The church is quite attractive and its warm sandstone construction
contrasts with the houses.
The gothic splendour of Chiddingstone Castle can be seen from a few
places on the route through the village.
The village is very small and has a few local services.